.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Homebody Talks Dirty – Part One


Hang respectability. Let’s talk sex brothas and sistas!
So the idea for this blog post originated when I realized that a friend of mine had a little seizure in his head every time the word ‘sex’ was mentioned. Well, that’s not entirely true. Two of my married friends casually threw in a teaser: ‘Oh we were having sex so we didn’t have time to have tea with you,’ and he jerked spasmodically, covered his ears and walked away. When we asked him if he was feeling okay, he said he could handle the idea of sex, but TMI (Too-Much-Information) like that about people he knew gave him a visual image in his mind, which he really could do without.
So my married friends had a blast teasing him and springing random bits of unwarranted information on his blushing little ears while I mused about my experience with sex. Or the visualization of it. I realized that part of the reason I was a prude was because of the manner in which I found out about what sex was in the first place.
Flashback to sixth grade. Future homebody, the epitome of innocence, was merrily day dreaming in the school bus when her YOUNGER friends started talking about sex. Taboo topic. Ears perked up. Looked behind.
‘Sex is so disgusting isn’t it,’ J, a little fifth-grade midget says.
‘Totally,’ homebody agrees.
‘Too bad our parents had to have sex.’
Homebody freaks out. She jumps out of her seat, bangs head on school of the bus and blacks out. Wakes up and sees friend’s concerned face hovering above her. Springs up and says, ‘YOU TAKE THAT BACK!”
‘Huh? Take what back?’
MY PARENTS DID NOT HAVE SEX. THEY ARE PERFECTLY RESPECTABLE PEOPLE.’
Um, Shazaf…..’
HOW CAN YOU BE SO DISGUSTING? SO GROSS! SO TERRIBLE AS TO MALIGN MY POOR PARENTS! THEY ARE NOT LOOSE!’
‘Dude, you do know that sex is necessary for people if they want to have children.’
‘NO IT IS NOT!’
‘Oh I get it! You’re joking with me!’
NO I AM NOT!’
‘Listen, I’m not lying. People have to do ‘it’ to have kids. Why else do you think all married people have children? Do you actually think we came with a stork?’
NO WE CAME IN A BASKET FROM HEAVEN FROM GOD!’
Meanwhile, all my seniors and juniors have collapsed into hysterical fits of laughter. I turn red in the face, thank God that my stop has come and get off. I march inside and tell my puzzled mother that I am disappointed with her behavior and that I need my space right now. I go to the study, take out the encyclopedia where diagrams tell me that reproduction requires the disgusting merging of unmentionables we call sex. And then I get the image of my parents. Together. Like that. And I start crying. I go on a three-day fast and have nightmares. I stop talking to everyone until my friend sits me down and tells me it’s quite okay for married people to have sex. After a month, I have accepted the facts of life.
And then I did what every new student of sexual education does: I write a dirty story to explore sex in writing (because homebody had no other avenues to take advantage of) I write a story about an illicit encounter with a thin woman and a fat man, Homebody is embarrassed for two days. But then realization dawns – the trauma of hearing ‘parents’ and ‘sex’ in the same sentence has made my brain lock down all images. Even today I can’t visualize people having sex. Never. Nada. I think it’s a survival technique my brain created, with the result that I am now totally cool with the topic of sex. Because it has now become completely intellectual in my mind. I’m woman-of-steel-sexual-nerves.
So here’s a tip to my TMI-shy friend: just imagine them at it enough times, you’ll get so sick of passing out, you’ll be immune to it.

7 comments:

  1. What is an M&B stash? Once again this is excellent and very funny. When you have children you'd better make sure that history doesn't repeat itself! I don't think any child finds out about sex well though, no matter how hard parents and schools try it's just too damn mucky and embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it Shaz! You are so hilarious! lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha!!! Hilarious!! I think it's quite a 'shocking' revelation for nearly everyone the first time :D
    On a serious note, sex would not be such a taboo if children are properly told about it, and numerous other related issues, from an early age. Lot better from a parent than from the social group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it! And btw, in my day, M&B had a soulful kiss on the last page - that's it. Now they're in bed by page 2. My favorite experience with children's questions about sex: 'Mummy, are you a virgin?'

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahah! This is so funny! I feel for you. The first time I learnt about sex and then realizing my parents did the same...ugggh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This story is so universal, yet so personal - that feeling of being let down, that cloak of acceptance you put on as you try and deal with it. Thoroughly enjoyable read! Also agree with Salman above - high time parents (and schools)took a proactive stand and educated children about sex at the right age. Important both for the individual, and society.

    ReplyDelete