There are days like today which come as a big, giant, red light at the cross road of your life and make you stop in your tracks and reassess exactly where your life is going. In my case, I found it was going down. Deep deep down.
I woke up, stretched and immediately pulled a
muscle in my back. I coughed and spluttered and spewed and muttered and limped
to the bathroom with a hand on my back, willing it to straighten so I could
resume the day a respectable, posture appropriate to my home-sapien-ness. I
tripped on the bathroom mat (again) and took a short, hot shower which helped
soothe the pain. As I brushed my teeth, I remembered that I had dreamt about
people laughing at me and my biology teacher telling me my feet were too dirty
and offering to clean them for me.
I then remembered dreaming about falling down a
hole. Of course, any eager-beaver who’s read a psychology book will tell you
that this is a symptom of insecurity. It’s happened many a times that I have
reported a dream to have someone tell me: “Oh, that just shows you lack
confidence” and smile at me sweetly as I sink deeper into my seat, becoming
just a tad bit more unsure of myself because I’ve unwittingly let them inside
my head.
But this dream was different. I was blonde and
wearing a blue frock and falling in with my little finger daintily curled
against the dark walls, which, as one looked carefully, were spewing digits. I
was inside a computer.
Oh well. Weird, weird. Let’s not over analyze
anything.
And then it happened. I was rummaging through my
teaching materials and I dropped my ‘passport’ or external hard drive on the
floor. I didn’t think much of it until ten minutes later when it refused to
load any information on to my laptop. I was frantic. I rushed to school and
asked the computer technician what had happened.
He said it was damaged and needed to be fixed.
Yes, yes, but what about ALL my information?
Oh. It was gone.
WHAT THE FREAKING HELL WAS HE TALKING ABOUT?
Madam, please. We are a civilized educational
establishment.
Madam starts hyperventilating, twitching and
pulsating like Manimal before
he turns into a jaguar.
"Madam, Take it to your computer-wala. I’m
sure the problem lies with the motor. Your data must be safe."
Madam has turned as red as the jaguar in the eye
of the night. Or whatever. She has lost all coherence and is ready to kill
someone.
Small little computer technician cowers in his
chair and is about to ring for security.
To cut long story short – I didn’t kill him but
berated myself for my stupidity for not creating a back up of the information
on some laptop.
And then I remembered my dream. I was falling and
failing in a digital universe. Two years of work, writing, presentations,
lesson plans, reports and papers were all locked in on that little black box of
doom. And it was letting me down. I was no longer homebody. I was digi-body. My
entire LIFE was on one chip that refused to cooperate. No WONDER I was anxious
and fearful all the time. I was unknowingly hanging by a thread which had just
snapped.
I am digi-body whose life is centered on the
laptop. The problem is, my laptop, like my sister’s pet dog, succumbs to a
virus once a year. I back up with USB. USB falls ill every two years. I back up
with external hard-drive, which dies if you drop it. Now I’m being told to
email stuff to myself. And then gmail asks me, one day, what I will do if my
gmail account is corrupted? Now we have a new solution. Drop-box. DROP box. I’m
falling into the cyber-universe and the only option I have left is to fall
further and further down.
No wonder I dream of falling down a deep
dark rabbit hole and getting stuck in a perplexing world. The universe, on days
like today, seems as bloodthirsty as the queen of hearts. The only thing to do,
really, is to go to bed and have a good cry. And hope to God my data comes
back, by some miracle or the other.
Been there. The more you equip yourself to deal with this stuff there's still more stuff you need to know or situations you need to be prepared for. No matter how much you try you still end up losing your data one way or another. As someone who's gone through this i really hope you get your data back. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Anonymous.
ReplyDeleteblonde? blue frock? :p eeee...i am more concerned about my vacation pics and the random ones which might in future will become my children's childhood memories. Hope and wish not to loose them :)
ReplyDelete