As part of my new resolve to get-a-life, I decided
to do take baby steps in order to expand my means of entertainment. For a
homebody who considers a journey from bed to bathroom an arduous adventure,
filled with turmoil and menace (my bathroom mat, for some reason, is OUTSIDE
the door and hence I slip constantly and land face-down in my bathroom), a trip
to the movies is like a trip to another universe. And so I went to the movies
like a woman-of-the-world.
With my
mother.
I am ashamed to admit that the impetus for this
excursion was my tenacious parent who had been telling me, for the past three
months, what a bad daughter I was because I wasn’t taking her to the movies.
It’s interesting how I was being henpecked like my had been father two years
ago. To him, my mother used to say:
“Kitnay Kharab hain, Wasi! You don’t take me to
watch the movies!”
And just a week ago she said to me:
“Kitni kharab ho, Shazaf! You don’t take me to watch
movies!”
Abu’s strategy was to smile sheepishly and go play
golf. Being a homebody, I don’t have that luxury. So I relented and said I’d
take her (which means I’d accompany her) to the cinema. When I found out it was
Bol, I regretted my decision and feigned all sorts of headaches, stomach
cramps, dizziness, nausea so that my mother would give my ticket to a friend
and leave me at home to watch Perfect Strangers. But I resigned myself to my
fate while I was dragged down the steps with my hair and shoved into the car.
Onward ho!
Once I was in the cinema, I sat with an open mind.
After all, it was a movie that everyone had loved and went to watch a second
time. Khuda ke Liye, by the same director, hadn’t been that bad. And look! I
was surrounded by people who hadn’t given birth to me! I was out and about. A
veritable socialite! Good good! I even considered going home and finding other
movies playing so that I could procrastinate about watching them at home. But
this was progress. I was sure of it!
And then the movie started with a woman about to
be hanged. The woman had a terrible father. The terrible father's wife had given birth
to a transvestite – a sweet boy who wasn’t a boy. Boy got raped by truck
drivers. Father killed son.
Now at this point you’d probably think that this
plot line is enough for a very long movie. But at this point a SECOND story
starts.
Father needs money to bribe policeman. He goes to
heera mandi and impregnates a prostitute for money – becoming a prostitute
himself. His second daughter wants to marry a Shia (notice yet another plot
line out-of-the-blue). He wants her to marry a Sunni, even if the candidate is
40 years older. Prostitute gives birth to girl. Another daughter elopes with Shia
boyfriend. Father gets angry and hits whatever woman he can get hands on.
Prostitute gives girl to man to prevent daughter from a life of exploitation.
But father tries to kill girl with pimp & co. try to take their ‘property’
back. Eldest daughter kills father. Goes to jail. Is hanged.
And then suddenly, lalalalalalaaa we have a happy
ending. With father and daughter gone, mother who has been sniveling spineless
sot staring helplessly in all directions suddenly becomes bold entrepreneur who
starts a restaurant named after hanged daughter and President is kind enough to
take note of hanged daughter’s plea after death. End with lots of women
laughing, singing and celebrating in style, just two minutes after we’ve seen
their sister hanged.
Throw into this equation an impromptu concert in
which one daughter sings like a professional rock star before retreating into a
burqa and daughters dancing to rap music in their free time; the entire thing
becomes a bit absurd. The story line was depressing and the execution, although
MUCH MUCH better than normal Pakistani films with buxom Pakistani women jumping
in fields in front of angry looking fat men and throwing themselves chest-first
into every fray, was actually rather bad. This was two movies condensed into
one. Atif Aslam should NOT have been a part of this movie – and his music which
didn’t fit with the theme or the mood of anything. The ending jarred and
appeared a tad bit insensitive.
The experience was not made any more pleasant by
the fact that I choked on French fries in the middle and my mother thwacked me
and lectured me loudly on the importance of chewing my food while people in the
front row turned around and told me to shush; not recognizing that the blue on
my face was due to a lack of oxygen and NOT a radical new skin foundation.
So I came back home, suicidally depressed because
my heart went out for Zainab, the one who died – yes, the movie was a
tear-jerker in some places. My heart bled for Saifi, a transvestite who was
hated and killed by his own father. I felt angry at the world and thought that
being a home-body was not such a bad idea after all. In such a despicable
world, it’s better to grow old in bed with a book in the hand or a headphone in
the ear (once you’re blind).
So attempt at social life # one = GIANT FAIL!
Perfect Strangers, here I come!
You didn't like it then??? If it wasn't hilarious then you make it sound so, I'd love to see a Bol!
ReplyDeleteLol! Not a Bol, Gil, Bol.
ReplyDeleteIt wasn't funny because it was meant to be sad, but I felt the handling was quite insensitive.
BOl has to be the most poorly produced movie ive seen in a long time with a "crash" like theme of fusing different stories which fails instead of coming together in the end. it just harped on the insensitivies and narrow mindedness of one man that spanned across various generations. stick to one story or maybe one main story with a peripheral story that compliments the other. I think the most annoying person in the movie (after Atif Aslam) was the mother who was basically void of any opinions or expression. after giving birth to an army of daughters who seemed more assertive than she, im pretty sure she could have tackled her husband's abuse in some form or another. and where on earth are criminals interviewed right before they are hanged?? and where do criminals have the time or the strength to give a full on speech about their lives and events leading to murder right in front of the noose?..that was a poorly thought out scene. it attempted to expose us to the realities of the lower middle class living in poor neighbourhoods, but i think it just gave everyone a headache! i agree with you shazaf
ReplyDeletemariam
Ah Bol not Bol I see lol!I guess there's even less chance I'll see it then!
ReplyDeleteZomg, this was so awesome I simply HAD to share this.
ReplyDeleteBest. Bol. Review. Ever.
Thanks Mahwash!
ReplyDeleteThe only GIANT FAIL here seems to be Bol itself. Think about it this way, if you hadn't gone to see this movie we would have been deprived of your hilarious review.
ReplyDeleteIfty
I finally got around to watching this. I felt that it was such a cop out to have Saifee die. In fact, it seems that movie dealt with most of its issues by killing characters off. Had Saifee survived, despite the rape and the attempt on his life, and had grown up to live in society somehow - now that would have been an interesting movie.
ReplyDeleteSameer