.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Homebody Writes Her Last Blogpost


This is my swan song. The last entry. The proverbial cherry on the cake which has been sufficiently baked and to overcook it would be a shame.

You  see, most bloggers start out enthusiastically and then months later fizzle out slowly and inexorably; so that a year later you realize that you haven’t read anything from them recently; and you click on their link and you see a notice to the effect of ‘last updated three years ago’. And that notice fills me with sadness, it’s like seeing a dead cat on the side of the road, or like tea that’s left too cold in the cup on an ignored side table and you’re forced to drain it down the sink. I love this blog far too much to do that to it. I hope you have drunk your fill; enjoyed what you have tasted; but this is a gentle notice that there will be no more refills. I think the start of a project is auspicious – why shouldn’t the end of it be also?

I write this post with great sadness. Not because I’ll miss blogging – which I probably will, but because my decision to end comes concurrently with the news of someone’s diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. One day this person was fine, the next day this person was operated upon and the doctors discovered that the cancer had spread its tentacles to surrounding organs. And I thought to myself, if that ever happened to me, what would my reaction be? I couldn’t rejoice in my safety and temporary immunity from bad news – thirty years on the planet have taught me it’s no consolation to know you’re okay when someone else is suffering. Even if that someone else isn’t terribly close to you. I just sat and thought about what I would feel if I would die a year from now and I realized that I would be filled with regret that I hadn’t written more stories.

I have a very strong suspicion that I’m a writer. I think there are many stories within me that I need to tap. But just as pressure builds before a volcano erupts, just as silence precedes the storm, these stories will unveil themselves to me only when I give them the creative space to become. Right now, my creative climate is very dependable – regular showers that wash the pavement, soon to be forgotten. My blog posts are precious but also trivial – they don’t allow me to feel the longing and anticipation that will allow for a more significant piece of writing. A friend, mentor and writer told me that I must feel the ‘silence within the soul’ before the stories come. These blog posts interrupt that silence and I don’t want that to happen anymore. So I must pave the way.

So what has blogging taught me? It’s taught me that you write when you are fundamentally discontented with what is; it’s a way of figuring out who you are and why are things the way they are and also a way of coming to terms with the contrast therein. It’s taught me that it can bring you a lot of joy. It’s taught me that there are a lot of wonderful writers around me, whose blogs I’ve read and enjoyed and will continue to do so. It’s introduced me to a wonderful online community, who I met at a dinner party in a beautiful house that reminded me of the Von Trapp household in The Sound of Music. It also taught me that the instant gratification of readership and comments is the ultimate confidence building machine – writing is a lonely process and to embark on it, you need to have a supportive group that reaffirms your inner suspicion that you are, in fact, a writer, even if you aren’t published yet. And when you have been in this group, you can start venturing out alone, on your own. You have the emotional strength to go on a journey that’s frustrating and quite arduous.

So I end by thanking my readers. Some of you I can thank personally, others I thank in this post. You have given me confidence, praise and a lot of happiness and I hope your dreams come true.

And therefore, ladies and gentlemen, homebody takes her last bow. It’s been a pleasure.

15 comments:

  1. What the hell !
    I started reading your blog a few months back and this is my first comment.Can't believe that you are abandoning your blog. I am not a writer;no where near being one but i feel you could write stories and blogs together. Could you not ? I was directed to your blog by someone who reads it and off late i've started looking forward to new entries. And now you're leaving ! I hope you'll change your mind but if you don't, here's wishing you success in all your future endeavors. May god be with you always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terribly distressing but still an exit befitting of a great writer! You've had a good run as a blogger and you've made every post count, but you are a born writer and I agree with you that blogging gets in the way of other writing. It's because we'll be seeing great things from you in the future that my sadness is overshadowed by the excitement of what's yet to come. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Shaz All you have said makes sense, But, instead of not writing this blog why not make a different kind of blog. Write your stories when they reveal themselves to you and then when you're ready, create a whole new blog as a place to put them.Lots of writers begin that way and in fact most publishers would advise that you have a strong internet presence.
    If you're not going to post anywhere you better make sure I get to read your work please otherwise I'll be missing out big time and I won't be a happy auntiegee!!!
    Good luck my love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous,
    Thank you for reading and commenting. Hopefully, soon, you'll read something by me. I'll post the link on this blog, but for the time being, there will be no more regular posts. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Shaz, I read your post with regret to hear you are giving up your blog because you are such a pleasure to read. I have so enjoyed your writing, it is such a lovely reflection of you as a person. I can, however, understand. I am one of those 'cats laying by the roadside'. But that is another story! Unfortunately time doesn't allow the opportunity to do all we would love to do! I hope you will find those stories you are fair popping to write about. I regret we won't have the opportunity to view that profound and wonderful process! You are so precious girl and I can't wait to see your stuff in print! Love from Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your very fresh and honest style. Hope to see you in print soon. Try your hand at short stories- look up some competitions to get you started. Who knows what might be created!

    ReplyDelete
  7. u write well, wud be great if u continue this blog, refresh it a lil bit.
    good luck young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yaar so sad that you won't be blogging!! i will really miss you here!! loved to read your stuff!! good luck with your future dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Homebody, you will be missed:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwwww....you will be missed but I am looking at the bright side...I will be waiting for your book :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this post and cried. Seriously. Just one tear, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm missing you already. Is there no way you can change your mind? please? :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Anonymous,
    I'm so flattered, but not for the time being. Lots of love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is odd to me that a "writer" would leave just the place where the writing can be practiced then admired or commented upon.
    Most good writing that I see cares not where it is presented -- any ol place will do!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeh Shaadi Nahi Hosakti.Chalo Munna.
    OK ji . Rab Rakha.

    ReplyDelete