.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Why Homebody is Morbid


Positive people are surrounded by positivity. I am morbid because I am surrounded by morbidity. I can't shake the feeling that I am living to the backdrop of impending tragedy that will chew my to pieces and swallow me whole. This is because I hear conversations like the one recorded below. ALL.THE.TIME.

Following is a typical interchange between my mother and our neighbor as we drive to a majlis. You may imagine me sitting in front, trying not to listen but soon the dark cloud inside our corolla has oppressed me as well. In the end, I slump and begin to think that there will be no more rainbows, ever.

R: Thank you for picking me up.
A: Arey, what thank you? It’s my duty as your neighbor.
R: You’re very kind. I still drive, but at night, after my husband’s death, my children tell me it’s not safe.
A: (who’s an expert on IT’S.NOT.SAFE conversations) Of course it’s not safe. Imagine what can happen to a woman driving alone at night: tire puncture, abduction, theft at gunpoint.
R: Haan, bilkul. Bhai those things can happen during the day time as well.
A: That’s why one should keep a driver.
R: But drivers these days – did you know – my late husband’s cousin was murdered by her driver. He stabbed her and then drove over her. She had tire marks over her face.
A: Toba, Toba. REEEALLY?
R: Haan.
Silence; each widow savoring another gory story that has potential to be used for social conversation. Or to tell her daughters why it’s best they stay home all the time.
A: How’s your mother?
R: Fell in the bathroom.
A: Oh NO!
R: Yes. Poor thing, she’s ninety and she fell on her face. She looks like she’s wearing goggles.
A: Oh No!
R: Yes. Do you remember last month I fell after returning from T’s majlis.
A: I do remember! How are you now?
R: Bas, a few aches and pains. I remember saying to God, as I was in the process of falling, I remember, I said, ‘Allah spare my bones.’
A: Haan bhai. One’s health and mobility is so important. I just visited my late husband’s superior officer’s funeral. His wife, third wife, by the way, is in such bad shape. Uff, I tau shudder when I think of it.
R: Really? Third wife?
A: Haan, first one was uneducated. Don’t know much about the second one. But the third wife is not old at all. But she has Parkinson. Toba, I had heard of fingers shaking but this poor woman was shaking and twitching everywhere. Tongue also. And she wasn’t being able to say anything. She was on a wheel chair. And she’s childless. Who is going to take care of her now?
At this point, Homebody interrupts and asks them if they can talk about something less depressing.
R: Haan, bhai, we should talk about good things. At least we have our health and can walk, Allah is kind.
A: Allah is very kind indeed.
Silence. Scanning for good-things-to-talk-about. 0 search results revealed.
A: Aur batao, how is your daughter?
R: Oh she’s very good. She has been looking after me well after my husband passed away.
A: Such a good man he was. I remember he and Wasi used to be such good friends.
R: I remember. But that’s how the world runs, I suppose. The men die early and we women are left to mourn them.
A: Haan. Sometimes I miss him terribly. It’s not a good experience being alone.
R: Bhai there are so many women living alone these days. My cousin died and his wife was a dentist in the USA. Then she got severe osteoporosis. Couldn’t bend down. Had to come back here. Lives with her sister. And now she’s gone blind.
A: I think I remember you telling me. Does she have an abnormal child?
R: Not abnormal. Badtameez.
A: Acha.
Destination reached. Conversation interrupted – the rest of the gory details to be discussed on the way back home. And that is why homebody has bouts of morbidity. Not that you asked. But I decided to tell. Just because. 

8 comments:

  1. Well Shaz I think its unfortunate that you witness such morbid gossip but for your mum and neighbour (and I'm sure many other women her age) to talk about these other peoples troubles is probably the only way the can voice their own fears about the future!
    Lucidgypsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. But it's what you get living in a society as ours. but good things happen toooo! let's talk about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. " Silence. Scanning for good-things-to-talk-about. 0 search results revealed."

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly what I suffer with my in-laws, btw. They're WONDERFUL people who genuinely believe it's a TERRIBLE world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh... random bit of information: Captcha just asked me to write Infidel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "She looks like she's wearing goggles." Haha!

    My flatmate's a bit like your mom and neighbor. Compulsive spreader of NO JOY. And now he's going through a divorce. Just kill me.

    Seriously Homebody, you should move out. I'm going to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps he's going to be more joyful post-divorce?
    nah, i love my mum. the KILL JOY in her is triggered whenever she meets someone of her own kind. the technique is not to sit in the same room with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha, this is hilarious. Reminds me of my nani and her sisters

    ReplyDelete